Matthew 26:30-35, 69-75, and John 21:1-19
If you remember, last week we talked about the Ascension and Pentecost. We learned about Jesus going to Heaven and leaving a helper for us here on Earth – the Holy Spirit, who He is, what He does and how He can help us today .
Today, we will study the meaning of true love as seen in the story of Peter’s denial and restoration. Believing that his life was still his own, he did whatever he could to preserve it and denied the Lord, but all that did was to show his weakness.
Denying Jesus means to reject the knowledge of Him or to abandon Him. We can better understand Peter’s denial when we think about how we might deny Jesus.
- We deny Jesus when we are ashamed of Him. For example, if we are around people who think Christians are weird, we might not show our belief in Jesus when we are with them
- We deny Jesus when we misrepresent Him. The only way we can learn to know Jesus and to share His love is by walking with Him – reading the Bible and praying to Him.
- We deny Jesus when we are hypocritical. For example, some people might say they are followers of Jesus, but they do not do what He asks them to do.
HOW TO USE THIS PAGE
- Start with family prayer
- Watch Rudy & Julia’s video
- Watch the lesson video
- Talk to your family about the lesson
- Lift up your voice and dance in worship for the Lord!
- Optional: Print out activity sheets
- Optional: Collect supplies to complete the activity sheets – crayons, etc.
- Close in prayer
Let’s visit with Julia & Rudy for a little while to LEARN about Peter is Restored. We will be learning from the book of Matthew and John. We’ll learn more about how Jesus showed His great love for us with His own suffering and death. Jesus reached out to Peter in forgiveness and reconciliation. The result was that Peter becomes a changed man ready to love fully. Listen to learn how Jesus’ love made Peter able to walk in God’s path and continue Jesus’ ministry.
In today’s video, Peter is Restored, we see how God’s plan for Peter allowed him to change from denying Jesus to becoming a great teacher and missionary for Jesus. Once again, we see how Jesus’ love for us can help us do mighty works for God! Let’s learn a little bit more….
WORSHIP THROUGH MUSIC:
Jesus’s victory over the grave gives us reason to celebrate and so we praise Him and thank Him. Let’s lift our voices together and, while we are praising Him, let’s remember those around us who really need the Lord’s help today. Let’s lift them and those who don’t know the Lord up as we praise Him for all that He has given us with song!
Here are some coloring pages, puzzles and other activities for you to help you learn more about this lesson, The Road to Emmaus. Ask your parents or an adult to help you print them out.
- Coloring Page: https://cchmb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/John-21-Peter-Is-Restored-Sunday-School-Coloring-Pages.pdf
- Crossword Puzzle: https://cchmb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/John-21-Peter-Is-Restored-Sunday-School-Crossword-Puzzles.pdf
- Spot the Difference: https://cchmb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/John-21-Peter-Is-Restored-Kids-Spot-the-Difference.pdf
- Word Search: https://cchmb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/John-21-Peter-Is-Restored-Bible-Word-Search-Puzzle.pdf
Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.”Matthew 16:24