Matthew 3:1–17, Mark 1:1–11, Luke 3:1–22, & John 1:19–34
Today, we will study about John the Baptist and his mission to preach to everyone that they needed to repent; he told them that someone else is coming after him who would be much greater than himself. John the Baptist was the first prophet sent by God since Malachi, who lived about 400 years earlier.
The lesson about John the Baptist teaches us how he dedicated his life to preparing the way for Jesus. As we learn about John’s ministry we learn about the kind of person he was.
- Single-minded: God gave John a mission—to prepare the way for Jesus. He lived a simple life focused only on preparing people to meet their Savior.
- Fearless: John’s calling was to tell everyone, including the religious leaders and the king, that they needed to repent. He called people out on their sins without regard for people’s position or his own life.
- Steadfast: With his whole heart, John believed in the Messiah and that He was coming. He preached about the coming of the Messiah regardless of whether or not people believed the message.
HOW TO USE THIS PAGE
- Start with family prayer
- Watch Julia & Rudy’s video
- Watch the lesson video
- Talk to your family about the lesson
- Lift up your voice and dance in worship for the Lord!
- Optional: Print out activity sheets
- Optional: Collect supplies to complete the activity sheets – crayons, etc.
- Close in prayer
With his whole heart, John the Baptist believed in the Messiah and that He was coming. He preached about the coming of the Messiah regardless of whether or not people believed the message. Let’s visit with Rudy & Julia for a little while to LISTEN to this story about this lesson, John the Baptist. Maybe we can learn about being messengers for Jesus, too!
In today’s video, we learn about John the Baptist and the baptism of Jesus. He had preached about Jesus’s coming to everyone including the religious leaders. The Scriptures foretold Jesus’ coming but the religious leasers they misunderstood the way He would be revealed to them. John understood the real way the Messiah was going to come, and he worked to prepare people for His ministry. Because of this difference of understanding, the religious leaders did not like John.
SING & DANCE IN WORSHIP:
John the Baptist’s mission was to preach to everyone that they needed to repent; he told them that someone else is coming after him who would be much greater than himself. Through music and song, we can also have a mission to tell everyone about Jesus. Lifting our voices with praise and thanksgiving is so pleasing to the Lord! Let’s lift our voices together and, while we are praising Him, let’s remember those around us who really need the Lord’s help today. Let’s lift them and those who don’t know the Lord up as we praise Him with song!
Here are some coloring pages, puzzles and other activities for you to help you learn more about this lesson, John the Baptist. Ask your parents or an adult to help you print them out or find the supplies you’ll need for each one.
- Coloring Page: https://cchmb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/John-The-Baptist-Sunday-School-Coloring-Pages.pdf
- Crossword Puzzle: https://cchmb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/John-The-Baptist-Sunday-School-Crossword-Puzzles.pdf
- Spot the Difference: https://cchmb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/John-The-Baptist-Kids-Spot-The-Difference.pdf
- Word Search: https://cchmb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/John-The-Baptist-Bible-Word-Search-Puzzles.pdf
This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.Matthew 3:17