Matthew 21:12-17, Mark 11:15-19, Luke 19:45-48, John 2:13-16
If you remember, last week talked about Jesus choosing his 12 disciples. Jesus called them to be friends with them, to teach them and to help them start their own ministries, the great work of proclaiming the good news to the ends of the earth. Today, we will study about a time that Jesus became very angry.
Jesus was angry because the temple, God’s house, had been turned into a place of business. He drove out the thieving merchants and traders because they disrespected the temple’s holiness by bringing in dirty animals and conducting shady business there.
This lesson teaches us:
- There are many examples in the Old Testament of God expressing anger and acting upon it. Sin and disrespect produced the Lord’s righteous anger.
- This story also discusses the temple and how Jesus’ sacrifice changed how we worship. Because Jesus’ mission was to restore our relationship with God, we can speak to Him wherever and whenever we want.
HOW TO USE THIS PAGE
- Start with family prayer
- Watch Julia & Rudy’s video
- Watch the lesson video
- Talk to your family about the lesson
- Lift up your voice and dance in worship for the Lord!
- Optional: Print out activity sheets
- Optional: Collect supplies to complete the activity sheets – crayons, etc.
- Close in prayer
Let’s visit with Rudy & Julia for a little while to LISTEN to this story about this lesson about when Jesus Cleanses the Temple. In this lesson we see that, Jesus was angry, but His anger was righteous anger because He showed what was done, why it is wrong, and how the sinners could get back into relationship with God. Jesus showed who Ephesians 4:26 says, “Be angry and do not sin.
In today’s video, we learned that the religious leaders and others had been selling things and exchanging money in the temple – in God’s house! Jesus became angry because God’s house is meant for prayer and worship. Jesus showed them that the temple was not for conducting business but also that we don’t need to be in church to be with God.
SING & DANCE IN WORSHIP:
Worshipping together by lifting our voices with praise and thanksgiving is so pleasing to Jesus! Let’s lift our voices together and, while we are praising Him, let’s remember those around us who really need the Lord’s help today. Let’s lift them and those who don’t know the Lord up as we praise Him with song!
Here are some coloring pages, puzzles and other activities for you to help you learn more about this lesson, Jesus Cleanses the Temple. Ask your parents or an adult to help you print them out or find the supplies you’ll need for each one.
- Coloring Page: https://cchmb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Matthew-21-Jesus-Cleanses-the-Temple-Sunday-School-Coloring-Pages.pdf
- Crossword Puzzle: https://cchmb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Matthew-21-Jesus-Cleanses-the-Temple-Sunday-School-Crossword-Puzzles.pdf
- Spot the Difference: https://cchmb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Matthew-21-Jesus-Cleanses-the-Temple-Kids-Spot-The-Difference.pdf
- Word Search: https://cchmb.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Matthew-21-Jesus-Cleanses-the-Temple-Word-Search-Puzzles.pdf
He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ butMatthew 21:13
you make it a den of robbers.”
RESOURCES USED TO CREATE THIS LESSON:
- Community Kid’s YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CommunityKidsCWC/about
- Sharefaith Subscription Video, Puzzles & Coloring Pages: https://hello.sharefaith.com/sharefaith-kids